Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Beauty of Watercolor

Watercolor is by far my favorite medium. I love the way the water and paint move over a sheet of paper. I love the way the white of the paper is used to highlight. I love the fluidity and suggestion of watercolor. I suppose these elements are achievable in oil (and acrylic, for sure!), but there is just something about ethereal about watercolor that is not present in oils or acrylics. I'm sure there are artists out there who would disagree, but hey, to each his own!

I love (okay, obssessed with) painting the female form. I can never find a model, because my friends get a little silly when I bring it up, so I end up becoming my own model! The above painting is a self-portrait, photographed in front of a window. I began to experiment with blues and greens instead of my usual yellow ochers. For awhile, I insisted on realistic skin tone, but became bored with that real fast. This was the first of incorporating different colors.

Alas, the painting is no longer with me. A friend loved it so much, I handed it over without complaint! I know it is appreciated in it's current home!

No comments:

Post a Comment