Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"A guitar is meant to be played!"

.....said my daughter's guitar teacher in a hollow voice. He followed that up with, "it's pretty," but I understood he did not approve of my mosaic/mixed media piece. Oh, well. Can't please everybody.

My daughter has been playing guitar for two years now. I bought her a 3/4 guitar when she started, which turned out to be damaged, and would cost me more to fix than I paid for it. The recommendation was to buy a full size guitar, as she would grow into it. So I did. But what to do with a pink, damaged, 3/4 guitar with a fairy on it? Turn it into a fairy house, of course! Since my goal in life is to use up all the stuff in my studio, this is a perfect way to do that. Perfect and painstaking.

Here's a list of materials used, because I know you're dying for a list: tiles, buttons, beads, brads without the pointy parts, the pointy parts of the brads (waste not, want not, et al.), fabric, wooden beads, glass beads, glue, and grout. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, I went through several boxes of materials here.


 The best part? Cutting out the hole in the front and removing the strings. I've always like breaking stuff. Don't judge.
A little sawing, a little sanding,and there's a whole new space!


I eventually did make this into a fairy house. I added a ladder on the inside, and a wool floor where the wooden braces are.

I agree, guitars are meant to be played--unless they are broken, then they are meant to be turned into works of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment