Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Twisted Trees



An artist usually has a favorite subject and I am no different. Trees, female nudes, and most recently, music, are my go to topics when I'm in the studio. These subjects feel like they relate to each other and I've been known to combine them from time to time. 

Wire hangers have become one of my favorite mediums to work with. I like the versatility--they can be twisted into just about anything or used as a frame or support. This is also a material that is easily found and free. I get boxes of wire hangers from neighbors and friends who find dry cleaning a necessity. And the only tools needed are a pair of needle nose pliers and wire cutters. 

My favorite part about working with wire hangers? I love the physicality of it. It's hard work to bend wire into shapes. There are a lot of differences in wire hangers; they are not cheap white ones from the dry cleaner. Some of them are made of pretty thick metal. 

The first wire trees I made were over two feet tall and used to display necklaces at a craft fair. I've used them to display ornaments at Christmas. I've made smaller trees, about eight inches tall. I've given them to my daughter and her friends to display their jewelry.

I also made a tree for a friend who harbored a strong dislike for a particular ornament....


.....she now fosters an intense feeling of happiness regarding said ornament, and keeps this tree in her yoga studio to inspire her and her clients. 




No comments:

Post a Comment