Monday, June 24, 2013

Allow Me to Introduce....the Wire Hanger

I have developed an unnatural attachment to wire hangers. I use them for many purposes they were not intended for (admit it, you've hollered "no wire hangers!" a time or two). My fav way to use them is to bend them mercilessly into trees. 

This piece is made of chair legs and wire hanger trees. 


The chair legs are glued together with Elmer's school glue (a surprisingly excellent bonding agent, who knew?) and hand planed. A friend once asked me if it would be easier to use an electric planer, but that would take something out of the process, don't you think? And, besides, I don't know how to use big power tools, it's safer that way (long story). Trees were drawn onto the wood, then filled in with black ink. The background is brown ink. The wire trees are stapled (I also have a love affair with the stapler) onto the wood, and a wire hanger is used for the hanging mechanism, held in with drywall screws. 

This piece hangs in my dining room. It's heavy, it's three dimensional, and it's really cool. Also, it could put your eye out. Good to know for the holidays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment