Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Back to Blogging: So Much for the 1 Year Challenge

the studio, 2012

4/2012: the challenge: to only use the materials found in my little back bedroom studio to create art for 1 year. The rules: (1) don't buy any new materials; (2) blog the heck out of it.

6/2013: the result? one deleted blog, a roomful of frustrating odds and ends, and several small purchases from the craft store.

Was this attempt a failure? Yes and no. I created plenty of interesting art (some of which is for sale on www.watercoloredwindows.etsy.com). I also created plenty of crap (most of which is dismantled or can be found in the trash). I have decided to try this challenge again, but with a slight change to the rules. (1) Limit the amount of new materials purchased. I found out very quickly that hot glue and staples are very necessary when attaching stuff to other stuff. (2) Blog the heck out of it. I simply didn't blog. What's the point of having a blog, if one does not blog?

the studio, 2013


I'm also eliminating the time frame. That's where the pressure came in, the calendar pages kept turning, and it felt as though I was getting nowhere fast. In reality, I was able to come up with some interesting ways to upcycle or repurpose (you know, the hip new way of saying "reuse") all kinds of stuff. Old jeans and dishtowels make interesting canvases, and wire hangers are more than just a cliche. 

The journey begins.......again.....




No comments:

Post a Comment