Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Emma's Guitar

The members of the Pocono Arts Council (Stroudsburg, PA) participate in an annual exhibition. I usually enter the watercolor category, but so does everyone else. It seemed a good strategy to enter a piece in a lesser used category. Mixed media it is. I won second place in my category, YAY for me!

My daughter plays an acoustic guitar, and this has heavily influenced my work recently. Building these pieces is like composing music; the materials are the notes, the canvas is the staff paper. I have a new love affair with mixed media because of this.

Mixed media is a work of art combining two or more mediums. I think I covered that here! I used as many as I could add in. Wood, fabric, crushed glass, beads, brass sheet metal, embroidery thread, and the all important wire hanger. Where would I be without wire hangers? Third place, probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment