Friday, June 21, 2013

For the Love of Trees

I am fascinated by trees. A tree takes carbon dioxide, and creates oxygen. A tree also houses countless flora, fauna, and insect life. Paper, fabric and a variety of dwellings are made from their branches. Some are edible! when the tree falls or dies, it continues to be useful through decomposition. Such an amazing testament of a life cycle. My favorite part of a tree is their shape. And I am fascinated by their shape in winter, against a white, sunless sky.




To honor my friends, the trees, I used wood that was from a previous project, and fabric that was not much more than rags. I found jeans to be a really great canvas material; so are old dish towels and tablecloths. Fabric was stretched and stapled over the simple square frames, then primed with white latex semi gloss paint. 


I traced the branches using a projector onto the canvas, then filled them in with black oil paint. This turned out to be one of my favorite projects to date. The paintings really pop against a red wall.


I enjoyed the task of canvas making so much, I gathered the rest of the miscellaneous wood and fabric and made about 35 "new" canvases. How's that for environmentally friendly art?




No comments:

Post a Comment